Welcome to National Forklift Safety Day 2021
As with previous years, National Forklift Safety Day 2021 is intended to convey an important safety message to the UK material handling industry. NFSD 2021 is focussed on the importance of accredited Thorough Examination.
The campaign will coincide with the publication of an updated BITA GN28 – the industry approved guideline on Thorough Examination and Safety Inspection of Industrial Lift Trucks in accordance with the provisions of LOLER (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations) 1998 and PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) 1998.
Things will also be a little different from previous years as from now on, National Forklift Safety Day is being promoted by the UK Material Handling Association, the new voice in UK material handling formed by the merger of the industry’s two most respected trade associations – BITA (British Industrial Truck Association) and the FLTA (Fork Lift Truck Association).
What is Thorough Examination?
Thorough Examination (TE) is the name given to the mandatory inspection required by law to ensure that lifting equipment is in safe working order. It is roughly equivalent to the MOT for cars.
- UKMHA recommends all Thorough Examinations are completed by a CFTS-accredited Competent Person.
- TE process governed by Health & Safety Executive regulations.
- The CFTS mark awarded is a guarantee a lift truck has been examined carefully, and that key components such as brakes and steering have been checked, together with the lifting mechanism.
- All MHE must receive a Thorough Examination at least once a year.
Guidance Note 28
The updated GN28, which is free to members of BITA and FLTA, incorporates several changes to the current guidelines. These include:
- Identifying when defects must be reported to the authorities
- Clarification around the date of first examination
- Confirmation on requirements for lorry-mounted trucks
- Recommended intervals between examinations for attachments • Improved guidance on inspection and test criteria.
Here’s how you can get more involved in this year’s campaign
Download a Media Pack
To support this year’s National Forklift Safety Day campaign, a wealth of material associated with the campaign is being made freely available to download as part of our 2021 Media Pack.
In it you will find a digital flyer summarising this year’s campaign, together with data sheets, poster, email banners and more.
More material is being uploaded all the time so remember to check for the latest updates.
The updated BITA GN28 is free to BITA and FLTA members, otherwise it will be available from the BITA online shop – www.BITA.org.uk/shop – to coincide with National Forklift Safety Day on 8th June.